A scholarship award, either fully or partially funded, goes a very long way in the ability of a lot of international students to afford to study in the UK and improve their skills and academic knowledge for self-improvement and community development.
You do not have to go any further in your search for the best scholarships for master’s degrees in the UK for international students as we have provided you with a list of the best of them.
Below are 3 of the best scholarships for a master’s degree in the UK for international students that you should consider applying for alongside your university application.
The GREAT Scholarship which is funded by the UK government’s GREAT Britain Campaign and the British Council in collaboration with higher institutions in the UK provides international students from 14 different countries with funding of £10,000. The funding covers only the tuition fees for one year of taught Master’s programs courses and it is awarded to the candidates that are able to prove their exceptional academic excellence and also extreme dedication to their chosen course of study.
Before a student will be considered eligible for the GREAT Scholarship, he or she must meet the following general requirements;
- Be A citizen of one of the following countries;
- Have an undergraduate degree with strong determination and passion for the chosen field of study.
- Meet the English language requirements of the UK Higher Education Institution.
- Be willing to attend a networking event of all UK-based GREAT scholars, to discuss experiences and capture perceptions of studying in the UK.
- Be willing to maintain contact with the British Council and their Higher Education Institutions and act as an ambassador for the GREAT Scholarships
- As an alumnus of the GREAT Scholarships, you must be willing occasionally to speak to potential candidates about their own experience of studying in the UK.
- To apply for a Great scholarship in your university of choice, visit the university page and click on the link that will lead you to the dedicated application portal.
- Each university has specific eligibility requirements and criteria for applications so make sure you check that which is specific to your chosen university.
- Each university is entitled to set the deadline for applying for the Great Scholarship to a time that corresponds with their academic calendar. Check the university website to get more details on its deadline.
- The selected candidates will be informed by their selected universities of the result of their applications.
- Scholarship funding will be issued to successful candidates by individual universities after registration.
Chevening Master Scholarship
The Chevening Master’s Scholarship is one of the most reputable and highly competitive fully funded scholarships for international students in the UK. The scholarship program which is funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and partner organizations provides for the tuition, living expenses, and flight costs to the UK of the individuals that are considered the most suitable in terms of strong academic performance and impressive leadership skills.
Before you start with your application for the Chevening Masters Scholarship, you must check for your eligibility on the official website. Ineligible applicants will not be considered for the scholarship and will be rejected immediately.
To apply for a Chevening Scholarship, click on the link to apply and select your home country and the ‘scholarship’ option from the ‘select your award’ drop menu.
The applications that pass the eligibility requirements are organized into a list of candidates who are considered qualified for the reference submission and physical interview session.
The interview is scored and thoroughly scrutinized by how well you can provide the best answers to their questions on how the Chevening scholarship will help you to attain your academic and professional goals.
The application process for the 2022/2023 academic session is closed.
Commonwealth Masters Scholarship
The Commonwealth masters scholarship is awarded to talented students who are citizens of the Commonwealth countries and cannot afford the tuition fees to further their studies in the UK. The Commonwealth masters scholarship is Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and it is mainly to support academically qualified candidates from eligible low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university.
The Commonwealth Masters Program is only available for students who are citizens of the following countries;
- Papua New Guinea
- Saint Helena
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and The Grenadines
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- The Gambia
To be eligible for a Commonwealth master’s scholarship program, you must meet all the requirements listed on the Official website. It is written in detail, all the steps to achieve a perfect and complete application.
Applications for Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships for the 2023/24 academic year are already closed.
- Always make sure you check if you fit into the eligibility requirements to be certain that you can apply for the scholarship and not get rejected immediately.
- Also, check out the application deadline so you won’t apply for and keep waiting on a scholarship that has closed for the year.
There is a wide range of scholarships available for students who want to further their education by applying for a master’s program in the UK. While some scholarships are country, course, and/or university-specific, others cut across various universities and disciplines.
The scholarships mentioned above are considered the best scholarships for a master’s degree in the UK for international students. They are specific to a certain number of countries but successful candidates are funded through any university of their choice.