Applications for the Gates Scholarships (TGS) program are now open for the academic year 2023-2024. Every year, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awards 300 students who intend to study in the United States.
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households.
This prestigious scholarship program is based on evidence that by eliminating the financial barriers to college, a last-dollar scholarship can enable high-potential, low-income minority students to excel in their coursework, graduate college, and continue to be leaders throughout their lives.
In addition to funding, The Gates Scholarship will provide support to scholars, by engaging with them and their institutions in a variety of ways, to ensure they have access to the resources and services they need, from their first to last day of classes, through graduation and the transition to their chosen careers.
More details on the Gates Foundation Scholarship.
The Gates Scholarship 2023 is a highly competitive scholarship program for high school senior students in the USA. Each year top 300 young men and women are selected for this fully-funded scholarship in the USA.
The Gates Scholarship program supports young leaders to excel in their careers without worrying about tuition fees and other educational expenses. Furthermore, the prestigious scholarship ensures access the students to all the required resources and services.
The scholarship aims to enable high-potential low-income students from different minorities to become highly influential leaders by standing out in their coursework or graduate college.
The fully-funded scholarships by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation intend to help young future leaders realize their own potential to make a difference towards a better future.
Since its inception, the organization’s focus is on a better world and on providing equal opportunities to every community in this diverse world.
Moreover, the Foundation’s long-standing commitment to the help of outstanding minorities as well as low-income talented students.
The Gates Scholarships which launched in 2017 till now have benefited over 3000 outstanding high school seniors with financial as well as other support facilities to continue their four-year degree program from any US-accredited institution.
The full scholarship program for US students aims to equalize the access of all talented Americans in every field of life either public or private regardless of their minority status or their financial status.
The scholarship inspires and promotes the students by creating a network and a cohort of reliable communities. The students are not only assessed on their academic achievements but also on their leadership skills and their individual day-by-day activities.
These are some scales that depict the leadership qualities of high school seniors and ensure that the scholarship holders have the potential to make change not only in America but also in the whole world through their wits and capabilities.
The Gates scholars along with the financial support receive career support that enables them to be the best version of themselves throughout their entire lives.
The low-income students from minorities get a chance to study in America’s best institutions which they would not be able to get admission to without the Gates Scholarship.
The Gate scholarship bears all the financial burden of the selected Gates scholars. The following article completely guides us about the eligibility and how to apply for the Bill & Malinda Gates Foundation Scholarship.
Gates Scholarship in the United States – Overview.
Host Country: United States
Host Organization: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Host Institutions: University across the USA
Community: Colleges across the USA
Degree Level: Undergraduate Programs
Scholarship Duration: 5 years
Deadline: September 15, 2022.
Financial: Last dollar scholarship.
Open To: US citizen, national, or permanent resident.
Number of Scholarships:
300 full scholarships awarded in the USA
Bill Gates Scholarship Benefits:
- The tuition fee will be covered.
- Residential accommodation will be covered.
- Board and room allowance will be provided.
- Transportation costs will be covered.
- Other incidental costs will be also covered.
Gates scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
The cost of attendance covered by the Gates scholarship includes: Tuition, fees, room, board, books, and transportation, and may include other personal costs.
Eligibility Criteria for the Gates Scholarship 2023 in the USA:
Below are the eligibility criteria for the gates scholarship…
- The applicant must be a high school senior.
- The applicant must be from one of these ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American.
- The applicant must be a US citizen, national or permanent resident.
- The applicant must be Pell-eligible.
- The applicant must not be receiving any other grant or family support.
- The applicant’s academic performance must be outstanding i.e. GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- The applicant must be planning to enroll in a four-year degree program in the USA.
Besides these criteria, an ideal candidate for the Gates Scholarships program must show:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class).
- Leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities).
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.).
The candidate must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US-accredited, not-for-profit, private, or public college or university.
How do I apply for the Gates Scholarship 2023?
To apply for the Gates Scholarship 2023, Follow the steps below;
- The applicant has to create an MYTGS profile on www.gatesscholarship.org in order to apply.
- In Phase II, 2000 semi-finalists will be called to further process the application.
- The Gates Scholarship application will include a questionnaire, essays, updated transcripts, and letters of recommendation.
- Phase II of the scholarship must be completed by January.
- In March, 600 candidates will be selected for the final phase.
- In the final phase, the candidates will be interviewed in person or on a video call.
In April the 300 finalists will be announced and asked for documentation clearance for the award.
The application deadline for the Gates Scholarship 2023 in the United States is September 15, 2022.
Students will need to upload the following documents, which will be requested at various points during the application process.
- A copy of his/her most recent transcript(s) (submitted by the counselor).
- Student Aid Report (SAR), once the FAFSA has been completed.
- Financial Aid Award Letter.
- Letter of admission to a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a not-for-profit, private or public university.
- Headshot photo.
The deadline to apply for the Gates Scholarships (TGS) is set to be September 15, 2022.
You can contact the scholarships board here: https://www.thegatesscholarship.org/contact-us